Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Gruene, Texas


Went to see Chubby Knuckle Choir in Gruene, Texas tonight.  During intermissions, Stacy and I would walk around Gruene and sight-see as this was my first time visiting.  (For those of you non-Texans, it's pronounced green).  Had a great time seeing what we could and definitely need a trip back to try some of the food that was recommended and to see more.  The picture above is very typical of what you see on postcards everywhere but of course, being there I had to take my own.  This one was daylight and below is the night version.
 
 The Famous Gruene Hall remains the oldest (and best) dance hall in Texas per the Austin Business Journal.

 Gruene Antique Store....we didn't make it in here tonight as we got sidetracked with an incredible artist, but that is another blog.  This is another visit to Gruene.  

 Stacy had just gotten his iPhone and was having a bit too much fun with it....here he is making a video of me taking a picture of him.  Dorks.  

We walked around downtown and had to pop into the General Store to get some of the incredible fudge.  My choice was Chewy Praline Fudge....chocolate fudge with a center full of gooey praline.  Of the others we tried, I have to admit that the mint fudge was probably the least adventuresome but my favorite.  There was also a creamsicle fudge, vanilla caramel chocolate, and way too many more insulin inducing delights than I can remember.  But all were worth taking a bite of.  Just think of the General Store as Sugar Central.  I also walked out with Neccos and an Icee, courtesy of my super sweet boyfriend.

 Some Gruene history.  Near this plaque we found a wonderful store that had outdoor wooden swings set into an A Frame.  We sat on them looking at the moon and Stacy said that something like this would be easy to make....he has the wood to do so.  I'm going to hold him to that and this is an open invitation to people to come visit us and sit on the beautiful wooden swing Stacy is going to make me.  (I haven't formally informed him of this yet, suppose he'll see it when he reads the blog....).

Next door to the Gruene Dance Hall is The Gristmill Restaurant.  We heard repeatedly how this was the home of great food, steaks particularly seemed to be mentioned.  Love the sign with the light and star and all set among a beautiful flowery landscape.  The picture below features the flowers alone.  The white at the bottom center I'm not familiar with.  There were Dusty Millers in the bunch but these weren't as feathered of a leaf and also have green.  Just a beautiful overall planting.  

No comments:

Post a Comment